Thursday, June 22, 2006
Commanding Heights
During our term-2 we are having class room discussions on a few chapters of the wonderful documentary of "Commanding Heights" and an excellent explanation given by Prof. Krishna Kumar. I understood why he was chosen as the Best Professor for two consecutive years, 2004 & 2005. This is just one of his methods of teaching.

Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy is a fascinating & marvellous book by Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw in 1998. In 2002, this book was turned into a documentary of the same title, and later released on DVD. Commanding Heights attempts to trace the rise of free markets during the last century, as well as the process of globalization.

Origin of the Title: The title "Commanding Heights" is taken from a speech by Vladimir Lenin, who used the phrase "commanding heights" to refer to the segments and industries in an economy that effectively control and support the others, such as oil, railroads, banking and steel.

I have added the link of this documentary to my blog as one of the 'most influencing' items in the left side of the menu. I will try to add whenever I encounter such powerful things.
 
Posted by Kishore at 1:10 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Kishore,


    I am a regular reader of your blog. I must say that your blog is very well written and is quite illustrative of the kind of life in ISB.

    In your last post, you have given a link to the speech ' Commanding Heights'. I am not able to access the link - it says 'You are not authorized to view'. Could you please send me the text of the documentary, if you dont mind?

    Thanks & Regards,
    Prasanth Dangeti
    Prasanth.santhu@gmail.com

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Prasanth,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. PBS had actually modified the link and thats why the site is not accessible. I had modified the link and now it is working.

    Also, the link FYI...
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/hi/story/index.html

     

Post a Comment

~ back home